You’ll know from my last post that I came across a stash of pomegranates at our local supermarket recently. It was a bit of a find, given we don’t get to see pomegranates very often Down Under.
So, with pomegranates to spare and a hankering for a salad that I could dress with some ruby red arils (which are fibre-rich as well as being powerful antioxidants), I hunted out some recipes and found this Roasted Pumpkin & Pomegranate Salad recipe from Leigh Erin Connealy, MD at Newport Natural Health.com.
It’s not only visually spectacular, but this salad is also wonderfully healthy, incorporating roasted pumpkin, feta or goats cheese, pumpkin seeds, mixed salad greens and, of course, pomegranate arils (the seeds). And, while I’m not fussed on eating the hard seeds ordinarily, in this salad where you’re already crunching on pumpkin seeds, it seems perfectly natural to crunch through the arils at the same time and gain the benefits. And, talking about crunch, I reckon that the salad would be even better with some walnuts thrown in (you could even caramelize them first for something really special, though less healthy!), so I’ve added them into the recipe below.
I loved this salad – it was a feast for the eyes, as well as being delicious and nutritious. An all-round winner.
ROASTED PUMPKIN & POMEGRANATE SALAD
- 2 cups pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 4 teaspoons toasted pumpkin seeds
- A handful of roughly chopped walnuts (either raw, toasted or caramelized)
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese, or feta
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Mix pumpkin cubes with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and spread evenly in a baking pan.
- Roast the pumpkin for about 30 minutes, or until pumpkin is beginning to brown on the edges and feels a bit soft when a fork is inserted. Remove pumpkin from oven and cool thoroughly.
- Divide the greens in half on dinner plates. Distribute one cup of roasted pumpkin on each plate. Top each with 1/4 cup of pomegranate seeds, 2 teaspoons pumpkin seeds, a sprinkling of walnuts, and 1/8 cup of cheese.
- Lightly top with your favourite salad dressing.
Food Photography Info: Canon 550D (EOS Rebel T2i); Canon 50mm 1.8 lens / Natural lighting