Yes, we’re ‘doing Italian’ again. This time, Amaretti & Mascarpone Cups – a combination of mascarpone and egg cream along with a heavily spiked amaretti and cocoa crumble. And, if I do say so myself… OMG.
This recipe, thanks to Debi Mazar and Gabriele Corcos (Cooking Channel TV.com), is done and dusted in about 15 minutes flat. It doesn’t require chilling – just make and eat.
It’s simple, yet sublime with its sweet and airy cream mixture atop a crunchy base of crumbled amaretti biscuits tossed in cocoa and brandy. So good was it that more than one person licked the glass clean (sophisticated we ain’t). Enough said… enjoy!
AMARETTI & MASCARPONE CUPS
- 3 organic eggs, separated
- 57g (2 oz) sugar, divided in half
- 225g (8 oz) mascarpone
- 1 1/2 cups roughly crumbled amaretti biscuits (just break them in your hands)
- 3 Tbsp (1.5 fl oz) good quality brandy
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder, or to taste
- To serve: Shaved dark chocolate / cocoa / berries
- Beat the egg yolks with half the sugar until you obtain a creamy light mixture.
- Add the mascarpone to the eggs and beat until combined.
- In another bowl, mix the egg whites with a pinch of salt and the remaining sugar until they reach a firm peaks (but not stiff), and then fold them into the mascarpone.
- Add the biscuits to a medium bowl and stir in the brandy (I added a tablespoon at a time and combined, before repeating – you want the mix just moistened; not soggy). Add the cocoa powder and stir though. Divide the biscuit crumble into the bottom of 6 glasses.
- Dollop the mascarpone mixture over top of the crumble.
- Top with a sprinkle of cocoa powder and/or shaved dark chocolate. Garnish with berries of your choice and dig in.
Food Photography Info: Canon 550D (EOS Rebel T2i); Sigma 30mm 1.4 DC ‘Art’ lens / Natural lighting