I’d forgotten what a wonderful alternative breakfast Bircher Muesli is – it really is scrumptious and oh so healthy for you.
The only thing you have to remember is to prepare the oats the night before you eat it. It’s a very flexible recipe and apart from the oats to liquid ratio, you can increase or decrease the added ingredients according to your own taste.
You can also exchange or add specific ingredients, e.g. walnuts instead of almonds, blueberries instead of plums, cranberries instead of raisins, along with any number of extra seeds like pumpkin or sesame seeds. Enjoy.
BIRCHER MUESLI WITH PLUMS
- 1 apple, unpeeled
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup rice or almond milk or milk if you prefer
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- Approx. 400g tinned plums in syrup
- Yoghurt of your choice and extra raw or toasted flaked almonds for serving
- Grate the apple. Mix the grated apple, rolled oats, apple juice, almond milk, raisins and cinnamon in a bowl until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight.
- Next morning, take the muesli mixture out of the fridge and bring to room temperature. Stir in flaked almonds.
- Serve as is, topped with plums, lashings of yoghurt and a sprinkling of extra raw or toasted flaked almonds. Or, if serving in glasses, layer dollops of the muesli on the bottom, followed by a layer of the plums. Repeat. Add one final dollop of muesli and top with raw or toasted flaked almonds. Serve with your favourite yoghurt. If your yoghurt is unsweetened, you may like to drizzle a little runny honey over top.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!