Growing up, we rarely had mushroom soup, other than the packet kind.
Back then, mushrooms weren’t as readily available as they are today and, consequently, were costly to buy. The only time we got to eat fresh mushrooms were the odd occasion when they showed up in the back yard. And, when that happened, they were inevitably pan-fried in butter, sprinkled generously with salt, and relished like there was no tomorrow.
These days, mushrooms are much more accessible and available in a dazzling array of varieties, thanks to a combination of overseas imports and increased domestic commercial production. Thankfully, there’s no reason anymore not to enjoy them on a regular basis. That said, mushroom soup still equates with ‘luxury’ to me and, I guess, always will.
This lovely Creamy Mushroom Soup recipe from Jamie Oliver is rich and earthy with a hint of creaminess and, paired with crusty bread to mop up the remnants, makes for a delicious meal. Enjoy!
CREAMY MUSHROOM SOUP
- 1 Hand-held Blender
- 21 oz mixed mushrooms (I used organic flat brown mushrooms)
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 sticks celery, trimmed and finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- A few sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 50 fl oz chicken or vegetable stock
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2.5 fl oz single cream*
- 4-6 slices ciabatta bread or bread of your choice
- Optional: Truffle oil to sprinkle over top
- Peel any tough outer skins of the mushroom caps, then slice the mushrooms finely.
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat and pour in a splash of olive oil. Add the onion, celery, garlic, parsley stalks, thyme leaves and mushrooms, place a lid on top and sweat gently until softened.
- Take out 4 tablespoons of mushrooms from the pan and put to one side (for the garnish).
- Pour the stock into the pan and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then beat with a hand-held blender until smooth.
- Pour in the cream, bring just back to the boil, then turn off the heat.
- Serve with extra mushrooms and sliced parsley on top. Drizzle a little truffle oil over top, if using.
2 thoughts on “Creamy Mushroom Soup”
Love your photo! Thank you for sharing your recipe!
Thanks Becky, and you’re welcome!