There’s nothing like a healthy smoothie to start the day and, depending on your personal preferences and health requirements, the ingredient choices are endless.
I tend to have a staple few ingredients I use each time, but to that I can add any number of fruits, seeds, vegetables, or health supplements I fancy.
Bananas are a wonderful sweetener and thickener, and many people use these in their smoothies, however I try to keep the sugar content down so I tend to go with berries, with maybe an occasional addition of grated apple or mango when they’re plentiful. Another nice way to sweeten the smoothie is to add a tablespoon of natural runny honey or date puree which I make up myself.
You’ll notice the quantities I use are pretty loose; this is because it really comes down to your own personal preferences – whether you like it thick or thin, sweet or tart. So experiment until you find what works for you.
BERRY & AVOCADO SMOOTHIE
- 1 Blender
- A handful of frozen berries (whatever sort you like best, or mixed)
- Half an avocado (yes, this is seriously great in smoothies and thickens it nicely)
- 1 – 1-1/2 cups of almond milk
- 1/3 cup or so of organic yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp of LSA (ground linseed, sunflower seeds and almonds)
- Liquid mineral drops (if you feel you need a pep up)
- 1/2 tbsp of spirulina powder or wheat-grass powder
- 1 tbsp of runny honey or date puree
- Throw all the ingredients into a blender and whiz away. You might need to add a bit more liquid if it’s too thick.
I really need to get myself a blender or nutri bullet. Every time you post another recipe I want a smoothie so bad and this one sounds great. I love raspberry !!!
Thanks Healthy Smoothie Recipes. I couldn’t afford a proper blender so bought a good quality stick blender instead – couldn’t live without it!