Ever since I made my first batch of home-made pasta using my newly purchased pasta machine, I’ve been longing to try out other pasta recipes.
This Pumpkin & Pine Nut Ravioli with Sage Butter Sauce is a lovely recipe from Michelle Southan at Taste.com.au. I used the pasta recipe from a previous Daring Kitchen challenge and it worked a treat.
I found making the sheets a bit fiddly and I can’t say I made the most elegant job of putting it all together, but it was tasty none-the-less. And, it has to be said, the browned butter sauce with crisp sage was the best bit of all!
PUMPKIN & PINE NUT RAVIOLI WITH SAGE BUTTER SAUCE
- 500 g pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 x quantity fresh pasta sheets or make your own – see my pasta recipe
- 200 g butter, chopped
- 1/4 cup small fresh sage leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Cook the pumpkin in a steamer basket over a saucepan of simmering water for 10 minutes or until tender (alternatively, you can roast the pumpkin in the oven as I did for a richer, more caramelised taste). Transfer to a medium bowl. Use a fork to mash until smooth.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the pine nuts and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until lightly toasted. Add the garlic and cumin and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Add the pine nut mixture and parmesan to the pumpkin and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 pasta sheet on a lightly floured surface. Place heaped teaspoonfuls of pumpkin mixture, in 2 rows, at 5cm intervals on the pastry sheet, leaving a 2cm border around the edges. Use a pastry brush to brush the pasta around the pumpkin mixture with water. Top with another pasta sheet and press the edges together to seal. Use a ravioli wheel or knife to cut between the pumpkin mixture to make squares. Repeat with the remaining pasta sheets and filling.
- To make the sage-butter sauce, melt the butter in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the sage and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes or until the sage is crisp and the butter is light golden. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Cook half the ravioli in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 5-8 minutes or until al dente. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining pasta. Divide the ravioli among serving bowls and spoon over the sage-butter sauce. Serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
1 thought on “Pumpkin & Pine Nut Ravioli with Sage Butter Sauce”