Yes, it’s true. Smoothies rule and I can’t apologize for including two smoothie posts in the last week. After all, I’m having one per day on my 30 day smoothie challenge and I can’t help it if I get seduced by the pretty colours (and scrummy taste) as I go along!
This purple (well, strictly speaking, magenta) beauty was just too gorgeous to not have its portrait taken. It’s one I chucked together from ingredients I had lying about – and purple was most definitely the theme with the inclusion of blueberries, beetroot, dark red plums and prunes. Talk about a power pack of health-promoting anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories all in one drink!
This smoothie recipe is completely flexible. However, to reap the benefits of purple power and the beneficial anthocyanins they include, do your best to include at least three purple ingredients – other possibilities include purple carrots, cauliflower and cabbage, blackberries and blackcurrants, black grapes and cherries. To that, you can include any other ingredients you like – I tossed in some chia seeds, ground linseeds, broccoli, walnuts, coconut water and almond milk. The possibilities are endless really. Enjoy!
PURPLE POWER SMOOTHIE
- 1 Blender
- 2 small plums or 1 large one, stoned and chopped roughly
- Half a cup blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- Half a beetroot or 1 small one, peeled and chopped roughly
- Half a cup raw broccoli
- Half a cup coconut water or mineral water
- Half a cup almond milk
- 2 pitted prunes (for sweetness)
- Optional extras: Any extra seeds nuts and spices you like (I added 1 tsp chia seeds, 3 whole walnuts and a pinch of cayenne pepper)
- Combine all the ingredients in a high-powered blender and blitz. If the smoothie is too thick, add more water or almond milk.
- Serve and enjoy.
6 thoughts on “Purple Power Smoothie”
The colour of this smoothie is just incredible! I love that you used beetroot in it especially – I often make smoothies but rarely use beetroot in them so you have definitely inspired me here!
Thanks so much Thalia. Yes beetroot’s so lovely and sweet and extra healthy too.