The snow is on the hills, the gas fire’s burning and it’s time to fill the belly with warm and hearty soups. This Spicy Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup is just what the doctor ordered.
Sweet potato (or kumara, as we call it here in New Zealand) is perfectly complemented by the spicy addition of red curry paste in this great recipe from Taste.com.au. And, the squeeze of lime juice and the sour cream dolloped on at the end are refreshing elements which do a nice job of calming down that heat. Though the recipe adds fresh red chilli to the sour cream, I left it out as I personally found the dish hot enough. However, if you have a higher tolerance for spiciness than I do, go for it!
I served the soup with slices of home-made Spelt Focaccia, which was a lovely way to mop up the extra vestiges of soup left at the bottom of the dish. I can highly recommend this recipe and I know for sure I’ll be making it again. Enjoy!
SPICY SWEET POTATO & CARROT SOUP
- 4 cups chicken stock you could also use 2 cups stock and 2 cups water
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 2 carrots peeled, thickly sliced
- 750 g sweet potato (kumara), peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- Salt & pepper
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1 long fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander, cilantro
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Stir in curry paste for 1-2 minutes or until aromatic.
- Add the carrot, sweet potato and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
- Blend the soup until smooth. If it’s too thick, simply add a little water to thin it out. Heat over low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice and brown sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the sour cream, chilli and coriander in a bowl. Serve with the soup. Alternatively, just dollop a little sour cream in the middle of the plate of soup and swirl it through.
3 thoughts on “Spicy Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup”
I have been ‘souping’ it a lot lately too trying to keep myself warm! The food blogging world is ruthless for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere. Hard not to feel a sense of injustice when the rest of the world is posting about their barbecue!
I totally know what you mean! It’s always harder when you’re on ‘the dark side of the moon’, however much easier when everyone else is coping with snow shifts and we’re making ice-cream!